September 19, 2008

Date Night: Married Style

OK, so remember those days before you got married? Remember dating? I do. I remember the anticipation, picking out just the right outfit, spending hours on hair and make up, making sure I smelled just right, and that my shoes were just the right height so that I wasn't taller than him. The date itself would go on for hours. He would pick me up, we'd go to dinner, a movie, out for drinks, and just spent the evening enjoying each other's company.

Yes, I remember dating.

Married dating is so different. Oh, so different.

Case in point...last night. My dear hubby surprised me last weekend by buying us tickets to a traveling theater company performance of Chicago which was just so exciting because I LOVE musical theater. The show was last night.

Well, me being me, I got so jazzed about going to a play that I absolutely insisted that we dress up for the occasion. I had a new dress that I hadn't had the opportunity to wear yet (I bought it for my high school reunion and then didn't end up getting to go...but that's another story), and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to unveil it in all of its glory.

Tuesday night while the girls were at dance class, I ran to two different stores looking for shoes and jewelry. Of course, I also needed a light jacket because I had nothing that was suitable to wear over my beautiful dress. And I needed some...ahem...foundational garments as well. (Yeah, I was really excited to be going out, right??)

So, last night, I got all showered, made up, hair done, perfumed, and dressed. I made Mike wear one of his few dress shirts, a tie and dress pants. When he tried to put on the sneakers, all it took was one of my looks for him to put them away and dig out his dress shoes. We looked like a nice cultured couple going out for a nice cultured evening.

I only forgot one thing...this is Fargo, North Dakota.

When we arrived at the theater (which was really just our local sports/concert arena converted into a theater) everyone else was dressed SOOOO casual. Our seats were great, but they were elevated in the reserved arena seats, so I had to climb up those steep steps in my new heels. Before the show even started, my feet were screaming. (To Mike's credit, he never ONCE even mentioned that we were completely overdressed in comparison to every other theater patron.)

The show itself was absolutely wonderful!! The two lead actresses who played Velma and Roxie were amazing. The girl who played Roxie completely reminded me of a young Liza Minnelli. The actor who played Amos was hysterical with his rendition of Mister Cellophane! Billy and the chorus were completely engaging in the courtroom number, Razzle Dazzle. We thoroughly enjoyed the performance.

When we got out of the theater, it was right around 10:00pm, and though we'd enjoyed ourselves, we decided that we were too tired to go out anymore. We drove toward home, stopping only long enough to fill gas and grab McDonalds. Once we got home, I ran downstairs, put on my sweats, scarfed down my food and fell asleep on the couch. Oh, I did get a good night kiss, a quick peck before I went unconscious.

Dating used to be different.

DateNight 001a

My new dress and jacket.

DateNight 004

Look! Heels!!!

3 comments:

VEG said...

It dosn't matter how the rest of the world appeared for the show..You looked great and felt great. That is all that matters. I suspect they all saw you and thought...Wow, we are way too under dressed!

Jena9286 said...

HAHA! I make Chris dress up too and you know we always over dressed. It's fun to dress up anyway. Even if it is to go to the Fargodome! Glad you had fun. We saw Little Shop of Horrors at FMCT yesterday and it was great! Cheers!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I'll bet other women there were grumbling because they COULD have dressed up and didn't and when they saw you, well, they were jealous.