December 17, 2007

So Long, Mr. Fogelberg

OK, so usually when a celebrity dies, I pause for a second to feel bad for his family and then go on with my life. But this time, it seems a bit different. I was never a superfan of Dan Fogelberg, but his music has always found a way to haunt me.

"Run for the Roses" came out when I was in the 6th grade, at the height of my fascination with horses and horse-racing. I knew every single word as my friend and I would sing it on the playground at recess time. I became aware of "Leader of the Band" as my interest in music was hitting its peak. I found the song inspirational and incredibly sad all at the same time.

So, it is with a heavy heart that I say so long, Mr. Fogelberg. You will be missed, but your music will live on for eternity.

No comments: