May 14, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Yes, I'm three days late, but Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful mothers out there...Hi Mom!! I hope you all had a wonderful day and were spoiled beyond belief!

My Mother's Day was far less relaxing that I had originally planned it to be. I had to get up early (which, right there, is a diversion from my preference) because I was singing with the church choir for Mass. It was our last Sunday for the year and so we sang for two Masses, one at 9:15 and the other at 10:45. It was fun to sing with the choir again, I've missed them! (I took most of this year off from choir when I decided to go back to school.)

So, while I was at church, Mike and the girls were making me a nice Sunday brunch...a breakfast casserole made with eggs, bread, cheese, bacon and some crab meat for good measure. YUMMY!!! Well, when I got home, it was all done, but something was very wrong. Mike had a definite grimace on his face. Uh oh...what happened???

Well, as he was taking the bacon out of the oven (we make it in the broiler), he accidentally tipped the broiler pan and spilled hot bacon grease all over his arm. So, what started out with the best of intentions ended up with a trip to the Emergency Room...on Mother's Day. Yep. That's how I spent my Mother's Day!

Mike is actually OK now. The doctor gave him hydracodone for pain and he wrapped it good. The nurse gave me lessons on how to change the dressing and care for the wound. He took painkillers Sunday evening, Monday and yesterday, but today he hasn't had any and the burn is looking MUCH better. It's very blistered, but the blisters have not broken yet. It's not nearly as tender today.

I gave him all kinds of grief over making me spend my Mother's Day in the E.R. Especially considering how often in our relationship I've had to take him to the E.R...when he hurt his back jet skiing, when he got his lip split open "defending my honor" (while we were still dating and I didn't need it!), when he cut his hand open taking the pit out of an avocado....the list goes on. I told him he's used up his entire quota of E.R. visits for the rest of this decade and the next!

So anyway, next year, if he suggests making me breakfast again, I think I'll make reservations for brunch!

No comments: